Wednesday, March 24, 2010

It doesn't get any fresher than this!

A few days ago, I found myself face to face with 6:00 pm and a hungry mob (it was just the two of them but they can sure make some noise when hungry). I sort of, uh, neglected dinner (oops) so I fished through the fridge for leftover anything and decided to make a salad and to finally use my latest lettuce crop. So it was fresh lettuce, leftover grilled chicken and veggies, some couscous, toasted pine nuts and shaved parmesan reggiano cheese with a fresh lemon vinaigrette.

Yum.

There is absolutely nothing like eating salad with lettuce that was picked 5 minutes before. I have to snicker at myself a bit because I just realized that I almost always take a snapshot of lettuce when I pick it from the garden, I just can't resist! Can I really be inspired by lettuce? Maybe not but I sure can appreciate it's goodness!

And I can certainly appreciate this aspect of life in California: fresh lettuce from my garden in March!

3 comments:

  1. Of course you can be inspired by lettuce. Look at it! A fabric pattern, a painting, a whole room could be inspired by that bowl of lettuce and the pretty blues in the background. What inspires ME is that you managed to grow your own dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy, I am giggling--I never thought of lettuce as a color inspiration, but how right you are! Maybe even better will be the butter lettuce that looks so pretty growing out there. The blue in the background is the one and only quilt I have ever and will ever make. I took a class years ago and I think I cried real tears, and promised myself to finish the dang thing but to never ever try again!

    BTW, I'm going to do a little post tonight about my living room who wants to be yellow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Traci,
    You are so good about "whipping" together a fabulous meal. Fresh salad from the garden sounds appetizing, perhaps I will plant some this spring...you've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete