Tuesday, September 7, 2010

"Make Coffee, Not War"

Today I saw this slogan on a sticker on a car that was parked next to me. I laughed aloud and then had to explain to my daughter why I was laughing: "because your mommy should get a sticker like that! It's perfect!" Sadly, she knows about mommy and coffee. Coffee holds a special place in my heart and in our home. Upon the occasional instance that I have a moment of frustration or grumpiness (these are few) my Meg suggests that I need some coffee to feel better. She is usually right.

We own a coffee maker that beeps obnoxiously when the coffee is finished brewing. We call it the "Sound of happiness." Hearing it, I will leap gracefully, drawn like a hummingbird floating toward red sugar water. If I don't hear it for some reason,  Meg will fetch me to tell me that the coffee is ready. I love her. I do not have a problem.

My love of the black stuff extends far beyond the kitchen, I am a great lover of lattes and these must be obtained outside of our home as we do not make our own. In fact, I have a very official list (which lives in my head) in which I have ranked the locations of the best lattes.  And so, dear read. Here, I share with you, in order of wonderfulness:
"Where to get the best latte without going to Paris"
1. The cafe at Stone Barns in Tarrytown, NY 
2. Bouchon Bakery (New York, Las Vegas)
3. Le Pan Quotidien
4. Holly's house (I miss you Holly)
5. The coffee shop at the Wynn Hotel in Las Vegas--what a surprise!

Honorable Mention:  Starbucks (only on the list because in all honesty it's where I usually end up and Meg yippees when I suggest it) (some baristas just do it better than others) 


P.S. I didn't realize it has been over a month since my last post! Not for lack of inspiration, but just for lack of time to write it down. . . It's been a good summer!

P.P.S. My niece has pink stenciled walls! More updates and pictures soon. Can you say "pink giraffe fabric?" Uh-huh.

2 comments:

  1. Today is latte weather! Had one at #3 on the list this morning... got me through 2 kids doctors appointments and 3 flu shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Kris--Le Pan is the best ranked latte in our town, certainly. Let's not forget the Nordstrom Caffe, nothing to sniff at brewing up over there. I was reminded on a recent school shoe-shopping trip that I had neglected ole' Nordy on my list. I'd put them somewhere after Le pan and Holly's House.

    ReplyDelete